Thursday, March 25, 2010

Mauritius


Mark Twain once said that heaven was modeled after Mauritius.  I couldn't agree more.  The island was absolutely beautfiul, with high hills and breathtaking beaches.  I was fortunate enough to stay at a Hilton Resort at Flic en Flac beach, one hour south of where our ship docked at Port Louis.  We hung out on the beach at night, went out to the bars, and met some friendly Mauritian locals.  I traded shirts with a guy I was talking to.

The next morning
I went with my roommate Mike and my friend Clara to Casela Nature Park near where I was staying.  We went on what's called a Lion Walk.  For one hour, a group of us followed a guide and two full-grown lions on a walking path.  We were able to pet the lions and take all the pictures and video we could.  Near the end of the walk, the guide placed a piece of meat on a high branch and had one of the lions leap up to grab it.  Afterwards, the guide led us into the cheetah enclosure, where we met two cheetahs and had the chance to pet and interact with them.  It was one of the coolest things I've ever done.  We walked around Port Louis the rest of the day before getting back on the ship.

1 comment: